Lockout/Tagout & OSHA Compliance
Master Lock Safety Solutions offers the products & services you need to help you stay compliant.
What is Lockout/Tagout?
In 1989, OSHA introduced Standard 29 CFR 1910.147 The Control of Hazardous Energy in order to establish lockout tagout compliance requirements for general industry. Lockout/Tagout is the process of controlling hazardous energy during the service and maintenance of machinery and equipment. These safety specific work procedures safeguard employees from accidental injuries or even death.
The Control of Hazardous Energy lockout/tagout) has been listed within OSHA‘s top 10 most frequently cited standards for several years. Non-compliance with this standard has resulted in thousands of worker related injuries and even deaths. Lockout/Tagout procedures are utilized to protect employees from the dangers of hazardous energy and ensure they go home safely every day.
How to Implement a Lockout/Tagout System
The 1910.147 standard stated above establishes requirements for facilities to implement and employees to follow. In order to keep employees safe and to comply with the OSHA standard, facilities must:
- Develop – create a lockout/tagout program specific to the machinery in your facility, including equipment that is not capable of being locked out
- Implement – use lockout devices for equipment that can be locked out and tagout devices to identify who is performing maintenance
- Train – teach employees the lockout/tagout procedures and be sure authorized employees can perform the procedure accurately
- Enforce – monitor and maintain that the implemented procedures are being performed
- Inspect – lockout/tagout procedures as well as employees should be audited at least annually
OSHA Requirements for Padlocks & Devices
The OSHA Lockout/Tagout standard outlines 5 requirements that all safety padlocks and devices must meet. Master Lock Safety Solutions™ padlocks and devices were designed to meet all of these requirements:
|Requirement||Description||Master Lock LOTO Products|
|Durable||Manufactured with materials that withstand usage environment||X|
|Substantial||Cannot be removed unless considerable force is applied||X|
|Standardized||Clearly differentiated from other devices by color, shape or size||X|
|Identifiable||Indicates the authorized employee that applied the device||X|
|Exclusive for Safety||Not to be used for purposes other than controlling energy||X|